- Learn the terms of the beat purchase. Most producers sell beats online by licensing, which means that they still hold rights to the beat.
- Learn the difference between non-exclusive and exclusive.
- Exclusive license - there is no limit to what you can do with the beat. You can include the beat on a for profit album, and sell unlimited copies without owing the producer royalties.
- Non-exclusive licenses have many limitations. Most artists buy non-exclusive beats because they are cheaper. If they record a song with the beat that they like, they simply contact the producer to work out terms on buying the beat exclusively. Non exclusive beats are usually cheaper than exclusives.
- Purchase the beat by using PayPal, or another payment system. After paying for the beat, you should receive a link to download it. You should receive the link immediately after your purchase.
- Buy beats non-exclusively to try them out. If you record something on the beat that you like, then you can buy it exclusively.
- Make sure the sound quality of the beat is up to par.
- Look for a producer that will give you good value for your money. Build a relationship with producers that give you value.
- All exclusive beats give you the ability to own the beats and not pay any further royalties on that beat. This saves you money over buying a non exclusive beat.